23 January 2012

Self defence becomes more important

Photo: Selection of training knifes as used in Jiu-Jitsu and Self Defense Training.

Since I arrived in lovely old Bridport, times have changed a lot. As there was hardly any fighting 25 years ago, it is nowadays quite common to get unwanted involved into any form of aggression or violence in the streets of Bridport. But one fact has to be looked at in particular. The kind of street fighting known in bigger cities has obviously arrived in Dorset. I am talking about the use of illegal weapons, especially knifes.

As a teacher and black belt holder in the German radical self defense style of "Anti-Terrorkampf", I know what I am talking about. Attacks with knifes and knife like objects are not only severely dangerous, it also requires a lot more to defend yourself against this specific violence.

You only need to have a look at our local news papers and you find reports of recent knife attacks on members of the public.

The news paper cut here on the left is from the Bridport News two weeks ago, but I guess everybody knows what I am writing about. It is a big concern in the community. Well, personally I do not favour to get more armed as the crime is growing around us. But as an expert on self defence and a Martial arts teacher for meanwhile 23 years, I like to offer you answers to this unpleasant development. The answer is: Learn the art of self defence and stay safe. What I mean is, as better you are prepared against a situation which might risk your health or even life, as less likely it will be, that such a situation can harm you. In my Jiu-Jitsu lessons held at Loders Village Hall every Tuesday at 7 pm and in Bridport at the British Legion hall 7 pm you will learn these skills. Beginners very welcome! Age up from 16 years upwards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i4zlg0wDm4 a bit technical but a good ending. However Paul Vunak is the man for knife fighting technique and philosophy